Wednesday, December 9, 2009

YOU GOTS DA MUNCHIES KID!

So I'm sitting at home on a Wednesday night with nothing to do... I know! I'll blog! Yay! :D

Now what should I blog about? Hmmmm...

Skating? Ehhh.

Books? Haven't done much reading lately.

Boys? Who cares.

Christmas? It is coming up, 15 days to be precise. Maybe next week.

Cooking?

FOOD! What a FANTABULOUS IDEA!

For the past two nights I've made dinner all by myself. YAY ME! Monday night I defrosted chicken without any help from the parentals. I cut off all the fatty parts (Which is HUGE! Those slimy suckers are gross!), marinaded the chicken in Italian dressing, added a slice of lemon, chopped rosemary, and cooked it to golden brown perfection. Then I added sauteed vegetables. I would say I did pretty well for my first big person dinner. Aren't you proud of your little girl!?!?!

Tuesday night, I wanted something with a little more flavor, more spice. So I was going through recipes on my iPhone using the Epicurious application. *ALL iPHONE USERS SHOULD HAVE THIS APPLICATION! I looked in the fridge, hmmm, not too much to work with. Have no fear! Epircurious is here! Hoisin sauce. I bet they have a recipe that calls for that!

Main Ingredients? Chicken.

Meal/Course? Main course please.

Keywords? Hoisin. Click Search.

19 recipes, that should be enough to come up with something. A lot of these recipes call for fresh ginger...I don't have that. Garlic! We always have that! (Open cabinet) Where's the garlic? Okay, moving on. Asian sesame oil? Umm no. Rice vinegar? Rice vinegar, what's that!? Why is the kitchen so empty? Uhhhh!!! Okay I can do this! I have hoisin sauce, worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, ginger powder, that's probably the same, right? I'll figure it out.

What I learned...worcestershire sauce burns in a hot pan. Um okay, false start. Begin again, I'll just add a little bit of water this time. Throw in a sinus clearing amount of red pepper flakes, a little bit of ginger powder, hoisin sauce, chicken. 15-20 minutes later...smells good, looks cooked. Add minute rice and leftover veggies. TA-DA! OH LOOKY, I'm a lil' chiefy!

And it tasted good too!

Does anyone have a go-to, quick and easy recipe that they use when the fridge is running on empty?

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, my quick recipe when the fridge is running on empty.....eating out.
    BTW I need some of your sinus clearing pepper flakes, I'm dying with sinus pressure over here.
    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TAG! Your it! Check out today's post to see what i mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm standing here beside myself laffin my butt off...ur a funny girl...i hear the rice vinegar is in cabinet by the sink lol. Congrats! you sure you're not Julia Child or that other J chik. Keep going girl you're doing great.

    ReplyDelete